Espresso Machine Advice

I absolutely love espresso! I'm guessing that if you're reading this article then you also probably share my love affair with this sweet nectar of the coffee bean. While drip coffee is just OK to me, there is nothing like the hearty and slightly sweet taste of an awesome espresso. In fact, I should qualify that statement a bit further in that it definitely makes a difference in how an espresso is made - and why settle for less than awesome? A bad espresso to me is not really worth the cost, and you'd be better off just getting a cheaper daily drip.

So since we're talking about making great espresso, this question presents itself: can I make it myself with my own espresso machine, or do I need to go to a "pro" barista? It's a question I used to avoid myself, since I just figured I'd let my local coffee shop take care of that for me. But in the days of rising prices for everything (including the gas I burned driving to get there), I started thinking about becoming my own best friend and making my espresso at home. Since I spent a lot of time researching home espresso machines, I think it best that I share my experiences with a few articles and give my readers a few tips to get the right espresso machine for their needs.

The first tip I'd suggest is to decide in advance how much control you want over the espresso-making process. Not everyone is hardcore, so to speak, about espresso and that's definitely ok! If you just want to load the grind and press a button, then consider getting a fully automatic or semi-automatic machine. Bear in mind though that the quality of the machine absolutely effects the quality of the espresso. Cheaper mass-market models under a hundred bucks will not produce the best results. Sometimes they might look like an espresso machine, but often they are just a drip coffee machine with a steam nozzle strapped on. I'd suggest you up your price range a bit and look for a true semi-automatic - only slightly more work but you'll be pleased!

The next tip is to start with a fine quality espresso, freshly roasted if possible. These days there are lots of small roasters popping up locally who will sell you fresh roasted beans. If you've never had freshly roasted coffee before, you may be in for a shock because the difference in taste and scent is immediately apparent. In case you're wondering, the stuff you get in the big chains (including the one that ends in "bucks") are NOT freshly roasted at the store because they must ship it in. Please take my advise on this one and do a search in your local area. A great espresso plus a great machine will always have you clamoring for more!

Thanks for reading the first article in my series! In the future we'll talk more about the different types of espresso machines and well as making better cups of coffee. Until then, good luck and enjoy a fine cup of coffee every morning. Last piece of advice - invite your friends over too and share the joy of great espresso!